Burdock root is not commonly used for cooking but now it is slowly catching on with burdock root being sold at supermarkets and wet markets nowadays.
When cooked, it is very sweet and tasty. Burdock root is also quite healthy, according to these facts:
- It contains a lot of minerals, vitamins, protein and amino acids such as lysine, proline, choline, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, calcium, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium.
- It is considered as a type of vegetable and is also low in calorie – 118gm of burdock root contains only 85 calories.
- It is one of the vegetables the Japanese use in their recipes (it is known as Gobo in Japan)
- It is used as a tonic and alternative herb for strengthening and cleansing the body system.
- It was traditionally used as a blood purifier
- It promotes perspiration and the release of toxins from the body
- It may also help blood sugar levels, relieve chronic arthritis and gout and helps restore friendly bacteria in the system.
So, here is a recipe using burdock root:
Burdock Root Rice
20cm length of burdock root, about 4cm in diameter, skinned and diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 pc chicken breast meat, best minced
1 cup of mixed beans, soaked
4 dried mushrooms, soaked and diced
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
some chicken stock to taste (optional)
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups rice, washed and drained
1. Season the minced chicken with some soya sauce for about an hour.
2. In a wok, heat up a bit of cooking oil and add in the garlic to saute.
3. Once garlic is fragrant, add the beans, burdock, carrots and mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes.
4. Add in the minced chicken meat and saute for awhile more.
5. When the chicken is almost cooked, add in the rice and stir. Add in the sauces.
6. Make sure the sauces are well distributed and spoon the mixture into a rice cooker.
7. Add water and then turn on the rice cooker.
Best to serve hot! You can add the chicken stock (about 1 tbsp) if you prefer it to have more flavour / more salty but to actually taste the sweetness of the burdock, it is best to keep to just the minimum amount of sauces. Salty food is not that good for health due to the high sodium level.