When I was small, one of my favourite dishes (other than spinach – thanks to Popeye) is what we commonly called ‘steak’ but it is not even remotely like steak and it is not made of beef!
It is actually pork meatball cooked with potatoes, onions and frozen mixed vegetables (cubed carrots, corn and peas), sort of like a stew. What’s great about this dish is that the gravy is exceptionally tasty and it can be eaten as a main dish too!
So, here’s my recipe for this dish using chicken instead of pork.
Chicken Meatball and Potatoes
1 pc chicken breast meat, minced
Light soya sauce
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 eggs, whisked
4 large onions, peeled and chopped
1 cup mixed vegetables (mix of carrots, corn and peas), thawed and drained
1. Season the minced chicken with 3 tbsp soya sauce, a dash of pepper and 1 tsp sesame oil for about an hour.
2. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add in the minced chicken. Mix well.
3. Heat up cooking oil on a frying pan or wok and stir fry the potatoes till it is slightly brown. Remove and drain the oil using kitchen paper towels.
4. Add more cooking oil and heat it up.
5. Using a ladle, scoop up a ladle-full of the minced chicken-egg mixture and gently pour it into the oil. Wait for it to cook for awhile before turning it. Remove when it turns brown but make sure you do not overcook it. It still needs to be slightly uncooked. Blot out the excess oil using kitchen paper towels. Repeat till you fried all of the mixture.
6. In a clean wok / pan, heat up cooking oil and then add the onions. Stir fry for awhile till fragrant, then add the potatoes and mixed vegetables. Stir.
7. Add 2 – 3 cups of water and the chicken meatballs into the pan. Add 3 – 4 tbsp soya sauce or according to taste. Let it simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and serve with rice or even eat it as the main dish of chicken meatballs and potatoes!