Crunchy fried chicken

Due to my addiction to Uncle Bob’s fried chicken, I decided to make my own healthy fried chicken (as how they promote their fried chicken) with my own batter to make the chicken crunchy and yet as healthy as fried chicken could be.

However, we all know, anything deep fried is rarely healthy so I guess it ain’t all that healthy anyway and is probably loaded with millions of calories. Heh. Anyway, I experimented and finally came up with this simple and easy batter for the chicken and fry it to a crispiness that is almost like the Uncle Bob’s fried chicken.

So, here it is:

Oat Bran Fried Chicken

Oat Bran Fried Chicken

Ingredients

1 piece chicken breast meat, deboned

salt

pepper

2 egg whites, whisked till foamy

1 cup oat bran

1 cup corn flour (optional)

Oat Bran Fried Chicken

Instructions

1. Slice the chicken into thin strips and season it with salt for around 30 minutes.

2. Mix the corn flour and oat bran in a bowl. Sprinkle some pepper into the mixture and mix well.

3. Dip the chicken strips into the egg whites and then roll it over the flour and oat bran mix.

4. Heat up cooking oil in a wok / fryer and wait till it is really hot (but before it starts to smoke!) and slowly slide the chicken strips in.

5. Deep fry till golden brown and then remove. Drain the oil and serve it hot.

Oat Bran Fried Chicken

I use oat bran because it is a healthier option than plain bread crumbs and also, I find it taste much better than the plain bread crumbs. It is also crunchier and does not taste like oat bran at all!

Please follow and like us:

Tagged: , ,

Comments: 7

1. xin July 20, 2008 at 9:11 pm

ahhh i always drool when i pass by uncle bob or the one in the shopping mall, the shi lin XXL chicken shop but never dared to try :( fattening i guess. btw, does this chicken breast taste dry?

2. Foong July 21, 2008 at 2:25 am

xin: Nope, it is not dry if you do not overcook it. Must remove it from the oil the moment it turns golden brown and it is just nicely cooked and still juicy inside.

3. ck lam @what2see July 21, 2008 at 10:32 am

Worth giving this receipe a try…at least we can cook it using our own fresh oil, avoiding those recycyle ones used by the hawkers. Thanks for the receipe.

4. engineer July 21, 2008 at 11:09 am

Try add some curry powder to the mix. I luv the extra flavour. Also after deep fry put it on top of some thick paper towel, it absorbs a lot of the oil.

If you don’t like chicken breast can use the thigh. I have an Uncle who likes the backside (no, I am not related to that fellow). He swears that it is beautiful with a glass of stout.

5. Foong July 22, 2008 at 12:42 am

ck lam: no problem.

engineer: good idea about the curry mix. Thanks.

6. Bookmarks about Chicken August 20, 2008 at 6:15 pm

[…] – bookmarked by 2 members originally found by YetiLuigi on 2008-07-25 Crunchy fried chicken http://thefoodsite.net/2008/07/crunchy-fried-chicken/ – bookmarked by 2 members originally found […]

7. Fat burning food | The Food Site January 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm

[…] you can also use oat bran / oatmeal as replacement for bread crumbs in a number of recipes like my oat bran fried chicken or my homemade herbed burger or the spicy chicken burger. The possibilities are endless. All you […]

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Facebook
Facebook
Pinterest
Pinterest
INSTAGRAM
RSS
Google+
This site is protected by WP-CopyRightPro