Due to my addiction to Uncle Bob’s fried chicken, I decided to make my own healthy fried chicken (as how they promote their fried chicken) with my own batter to make the chicken crunchy and yet as healthy as fried chicken could be.
However, we all know, anything deep fried is rarely healthy so I guess it ain’t all that healthy anyway and is probably loaded with millions of calories. Heh. Anyway, I experimented and finally came up with this simple and easy batter for the chicken and fry it to a crispiness that is almost like the Uncle Bob’s fried chicken.
So, here it is:
Oat Bran Fried Chicken
1 piece chicken breast meat, deboned
2 egg whites, whisked till foamy
1 cup oat bran
1 cup corn flour (optional)
1. Slice the chicken into thin strips and season it with salt for around 30 minutes.
2. Mix the corn flour and oat bran in a bowl. Sprinkle some pepper into the mixture and mix well.
3. Dip the chicken strips into the egg whites and then roll it over the flour and oat bran mix.
4. Heat up cooking oil in a wok / fryer and wait till it is really hot (but before it starts to smoke!) and slowly slide the chicken strips in.
5. Deep fry till golden brown and then remove. Drain the oil and serve it hot.
I use oat bran because it is a healthier option than plain bread crumbs and also, I find it taste much better than the plain bread crumbs. It is also crunchier and does not taste like oat bran at all!