Salsa is actually a very healthy and easy to make sauce that you can bottle up yourself and keep in the fridge. I love to use salsa as toppings for my salads, as part of my spaghetti sauce, as gravy for my rice, as sauce for my sandwiches and even as toppings for mini mushroom pizzas.
So, I am sharing here a recipe of my own home-made salsa sauce:
12 medium sized ripe tomatoes, diced
3 large carrots, shredded
2 large onions, roughly chopped
half clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1 large capsicum, diced
6 medium sized fresh shiitake mushrooms / button mushrooms, sliced or diced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (must be balsamic vinegar)
2 tsp Lea & Perrins sauce (Worchestershire sauce)
a dash of pepper
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp ketchup
mixed fresh herbs such as dill, oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc (or dried mixed herbs but fresh is better)
optional – 6 -10 chili paddies
1. Heat up a non-stick pot with some olive oil.
2. Add in the garlic and onions and saute till fragrant.
3. Add the mushrooms and carrots, stir and the add the tomatoes and capsicum
4. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally and over low heat, till the tomatoes have softened and you will find all the juices is filling up the pot.
5. Add some water if the tomatoes are not juicy enough and then the sauces, herbs and sugar. Stir it in evenly.
6. Let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have all ‘melted’ and it became like a thick tomato soup. You can test the flavour and add the needful sauces if you want it to be more salty, sour, sweet, etc.
7. Remove from heat and serve immediately. To bottle it up, just wait for it to cool completely then scoop it into a bottle and cover it tightly. It is best to be kept frozen and could last for weeks. If it contains chili, it may become spicier over time too.
Salsa can also be used to make these mini mushroom-based pizzas:
All you need are portobello mushrooms. Remove the stems, scoop the salsa sauce into the cavity and top it with some tuna flakes and cheese, then bake for 5 to 10 minutes. Or zap it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. It is great served as a snack or a side dish.