If you enjoy smoothies and fruit juices, why not make your own at home? All you need are the fruits / vegetables, some ice, water and a blender. It is easy and cheap too!
So, here I present you a recipe for a healthy cooling drink that is both good for health and has a deliciously fresh taste to it!
It’s what I call:
Green Heart Healthy Juice
2 green apples, cored and cubed
4 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
2 tsp sugar / honey
1 cup ice cubes
2 cups water
1. Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend it all together.
2. Alternatively, you can use a juicer to juice the apples and celery and then pour the juice and ice cubes into a blender to blend into a smoothie.
3. It is advisable to just blend everything because you will still have the pulp which is high is fibre!
Celery is often eaten raw by dieters and used in salads. Here are some facts about celery:
- It contains Vitamin C, fibre, folic acid, potassium, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B2 and calcium.
- It may contain more sodium than other vegetables but this is canceled out by its high level of potassium and besides, studies have shown that sodium from celery does not cause any detrimental effects even on those who can’t take salt.
- It also contains phytochemical compounds called coumarins and studies have shown that it is effective in cancer prevention and enhancing the activity of white blood cells.
- Coumarins are known to lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, helps reduce the incidences of migraines and tones the vascular system.
- It is also a great ingredient for an electrolyte replacement drink.
- It also improve detoxification (meaning it can help to ‘spring clean’ your system)
- It may also be effective in the treatment of rheumatism.
Remember the ‘an apple a day, keeps the doctor away’? Well, it is true because apples are good for us based on these facts:
- It contains fibre which is good to lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, protects the heart and prevents colon cancer.
- It is also rich in flavonoids and vitamin C which prevents heart diseases
- It keeps blood sugar level steady with its natural fructose
- It prevents kidney stone (drink half litre of apple juice daily)
- It prevents breast cancer and menopausal bone loss
- It is good for optimum health simply for all of its nutrients