My son simply must have his rice everyday, at least, for one meal and other meals, it could be noodles, porridge or potatoes.
So, instead of cooking the usual plain white rice to go with dishes, I’d sometimes cook an all-in-one rice like my mixed beans rice or burdock root rice or easy claypot chicken rice. Yep, when it comes to rice, I do try to do more things with it!
Here’s my latest ‘creation’ where I toss in some bottled organic black bean chili sauce to give it a slightly spicy flavour:
Chicken and Beans Rice Recipe
300g brown rice, washed and drained (you can use white rice if you want)
4 tbsp mixed beans, soaked to soften and drained
2 tbsp dried wolfberries, soaked and drained
1 tbsp dried shrimps, cleaned and drained
1 piece chicken breastmeat (about palm size), sliced into strips
2 – 5 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 – 3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 – 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce
3 tbsp black bean chili sauce (or you could also use Black Bean Sauce
half clove garlic, diced
1. Get the ingredients ready:
2. Season the chicken like this:
3. In a wok, heat up some cooking oil.
4. Add in the garlic and…
5. Add in the wolfberries and shrimp
6. Then, in goes the chicken…
7. Add in the mixed beans and stir fry it for a few seconds. Add in the black bean chili sauce.
8. Then it is time to stir in the uncooked rice
9. Now comes to adding the sauces. You can add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce and 1 tbsp oyster sauce or you can add about 1/2 tbsp more each if you want your rice with more taste but not too much or else it’d end up too salty!
10. After adding the sauces and mixing it well, you have the option to add the water straight to the wok, cover and then let the rice cook in it over medium heat or transfer the contents into a rice cooker to cook. If you let it cook on the wok, do remember to check on it often and stir occasionally.
11. If you transferred it to a rice cooker, you can just let it cook as usual. When done, you should have this…
To add some greens to this dish, I blanched some green leafy vegetables and serve it together with the rice.
If you can’t get the black bean chili sauce, it is alright to leave it out of the ingredients. You can substitute with additional spoonful of sauces.
The chicken and rice with beans recipe may sound complicated but it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook (minus the seasoning time).
Try it out and tell me how it turned out. But if you are too lazy to cook this, you can order it from me and I’ll just charge you for it but no home delivery, you’ll have to come and pick it up. ;-p