After my first attempt at cooking quinoa, I sorta went a bit obsessed with this super grain and came up with quite a few different ways to cook it. So, I decided to start a series on how to cook quinoa with my first attempt as the first in the series.
Now, I did mention that quinoa is a pretty versatile grain to cook with. You can pretty much cook it with anything you want. Since I am into making homemade burgers, I thought, hey I could use quinoa in my burgers instead of oatmeal or oat bran. Well, this time, instead of burgers per se, I made it smaller, so it is more like bite-size nuggets than burgers.
For the nuggets, I combined the best of four worlds: salmon, chicken, fresh herbs and quinoa. Also, I fried it in extra virgin olive oil. Yep, it is as healthy as I want it to be. Now, on to the recipe…
Quinoa, Salmon and Chicken Nuggets
1/4 cup cooked quinoa (instructions to cook quinoa is below)
100g grilled salmon, flaked
8 tbsp minced chicken meat
4 tbsp mixed fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used rosemary, sweet basil and oregano but you can use any herbs of your choice)
1 egg, lightly whisked
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp chili powder (optional)
dash of black pepper
1. Stir together the mixed herbs with the minced chicken.
2. Add in the cooked quinoa and grilled salmon.
3. Add the seasoning then, mix it all together.
4. Add in the whisked egg and stir to combine.
5. Heat up the olive oil in a wok or pan.
7. Flip over when the bottom turns brown and fry it till both sides are brown
And the quinoa nuggets are ready to be served!
Of course, for a more localised taste, you can always add some chili and curry…
How to cook quinoa:
1. Soak the grains for up to an hour. Rinse and drain several times. Use a fine mesh sieve to drain easily.
2. Either cook in a pot over the stove or in rice cooker. For every cup of quinoa you need two cups of boiling water.
3. Stove top cooking – just let it simmer, covered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Then turn off heat and let it stand covered for another 5 minutes.
It is cooked when it has almost doubled in size and looks almost like fish roe.