Yes, you are not seeing things. I did put fudgy chocolate muffins and low fat in the same line. And no, you are not dreaming nor am I delusional nor lying nor just plain bonkers. Okay, so I am a bit bonkers but that’s not what I want to blog about today.These are the mini low fat fudgy chocolate muffins I’m talking about…
Actually, I found this Weight Watchers’ recipe from Cajun Chef Ryan’s blog, so do check out his post of this recipe here. That’s how I knew it was low fat. And the best part, you don’t even need flour for this recipe. It is a flourless muffin recipe! How cool is that, eh? And err…I did add some extra ingredients so the calorie count may be higher than stated in Ryan’s blog.
Mini Low Fat Fudgy Chocolate Muffins Recipe
1 1/4 cups sifted icing sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
a dash of salt
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 cherries, chopped into tiny bits
1/4 cup walnuts, broken into tiny pieces
1/4 cup powdered peanut
2 tbsp dried cranberries
1/2 cup decorative hearts (optional, purely for decoration purposes)
1. Preheat the oven to 300F / 150C.
2. Combine all the ingredients A and beat till well combined. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer or your strong arm power to beat it for another two minutes to add loads of air to it.
3. Get your ingredients B ready…
4. Add it into the mixed up ingredients A and stir till well combined.
5. You then scoop small spoonfuls and pour it into the greased mini muffin pan. The batter makes about 20 mini muffins so I had two batches. I left the first batch undecorated and liberally added the colorful hearts for the second batch.
6. Bake the muffins at 300F / 150C for about 15 minutes. Then let it cool in the pan before removing it.
I think I like the decorated ones better, makes the muffins look so much more cheerful and colorful. Just look at those without the hearts…
It is incredibly fudgy though, because of the icing sugar.
And the best part is that it is also chewy because of the walnuts, cherries and cranberries. Nice. Those with the hearts sure do look way better, don’t you think so?
Ahhh..now we are talking. Just look at these babies….
Mini Low Fat Fudgy Chocolate Muffins