Whoever said that if you are on a strict diet, you can never have dessert? Especially chocolate brownies. Well, I absolutely LOVE love love brownies. So, now that I am trying to lose a few kgs (ok, ok, I have about 10kg to shed, not only a few!), having to cut out dessert and sweet stuffs will be especially torturous.
Imagine my delight when I found a low fat brownie recipe. OMG. I can be on a diet and still eat brownies. It is a life saver, I tell you. Now, this recipe may be low fat, it is not exactly healthy either. It still has sugar and flour and calories. So, do enjoy it but don’t sit right down and eat the whole pan of brownies no matter how tempting it is and no matter how long you’ve been on a diet. Trust me. It is damn tempting but will-power, please. If you finish it in one go, then there won’t be any left tomorrow, right? So, here it is. Just salivate over it.
The low fat chocolate brownies are low fat but the topping is not. It is very simple to make. Really.
Just sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl.
We need two eggs.
I used brown sugar instead of white sugar.
Then, add the yogurt, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs (lightly beaten) to the flour and sugar mixture. Stir till very well mixed.
Pour the mixture into a prepared pan for baking. After about 20 minutes….
You get this!
Here’s the recipe proper:
Very Low Fat Brownies Recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used blueberry yogurt)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the baking pan with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the mixing bowl. Add in the sugar.
3. Then mix in the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil. Combine well.
4. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Leave in the pan to cool.
Now, for the icing / topping. It is NOT low fat but damn good. If you are really on a diet, don’t use this!
Rich Peanut Butter Chocolate Icing
6 tbsp dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp low fat milk
3 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp icing sugar
1. Melt the dark chocolate and butter in the microwave for about a minute.
2. Stir and mix the dark chocolate and butter. Add the peanut butter, milk and sugar.
3. Combine well and you will get a smooth, chocolate paste.
4. Scoop onto the brownies and serve.