You get an absolutely scrumptious moist and delicious chocolate dessert. Yep, when you combine a fruit, namely moist delicious, healthy dates, and chocolate to make a cake, you’d get a rich and moist chocolate cake. You thinks it sounds weird right? Well, you won’t even taste the dates when you bite into the cakes because it will melt into delicious chocolatey morsels in your mouth.
Trust me, it’s as good as it looks. And the best part about it is that it’s so moist and rich, you’d never want to bake regular chocolate cakes ever again. I made these for a friend’s open house party and I didn’t want to go empty handed.
Did I mention that this makes an absolutely sinful and yet quite guilt-free (well, it is quite guilt free because it contains fruit..)breakfast? Who needs toasts when one can bite into these, right? Believe it or not, I don’t have toasters at home so we don’t even eat toasts! I mean, why eat toasts when we can have cake right? Heheh…I know, eating cake for breakfast is just like a big huge no-no to health fanatics but I say, what the heck, we only live once, right? Besides, it’s not like I have cake for breakfast everyday, all the time.
But I digress, let’s get down to how these mouth-watering treats are made..
The other ingredients you will need are eggs, sugar, flour, cocoa powder and of course, chocolate. You boil a pan of water, add the dates and boil it till softened. Once the dates are soft, mushy and cooked, remove it from heat and leave it to cool. Then you mix in the sugar, eggs, cocoa and chocolate. Blend it well before adding the flour and incorporating it all until well combined. While you can manually mix these ingredients, I’d recommend you use a mixer or food processor. It definitely saves time. If you don’t have a food processor or even a stand mixer, I’d suggest that you go get one from Russell Hobbs, they have really good quality processors that could last you for years! I used to do all the mixing with good old elbow power but it just takes up too much time so I went ahead and got a processor and a hand mixer to save me time whenever I cook or bake.I digress again, let’s continue…
You then pour the mixture into muffin pans, I used a mini muffin pan too as I wanted to make bite-size mini cupcakes. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top if you like to add more chocolate flavour to it.
Then we are all set. Just pop it into the oven and bake. Here’s the recipe proper:
Rich Moist Chocolate Dates Cupcakes
10 dates, seeded n chopped
3/4 cup water
4 tbs flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
50 g chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
1. Heat up the water in a pan till boiling. Add the seeded dates and let it cook for a few minutes over medium heat until soft and mushy. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
2. Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl and microwave it for about 30 seconds to a minute to melt it. Or place in a double boiler over the stove and melt it. Make sure not to burn it. And then leave to cool.
3. In a food processor, combine the eggs and sugar until smooth. Then add the melted chocolate, cooked dates (and the water it’s cooked in too), cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Process till well combined.
4. Add in the flour and process agains until the mixture is smooth and not lumpy.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (Celsius).
6. Pour the batter into greased muffin pans. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top if you like and then pop it into the oven. Bake between 15 – 18 minutes. The cupcakes are done when you insert a cake tester into the middle and it comes out clean.
To serve it, just place on plates and sprinkle some icing sugar on top and it’s ready to wow your guests or if it’s for yourself, just eat it hot from the oven, be careful you don’t burn yourself in the haste of scarfing it down.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad