We always have a lot of apples at home. That’s why I have so many apple recipes from apple cheesecake to apple crumble to the decadent apple chocolate cake. But I am not really in the mood to bake cakes these few days…possibly because I don’t want to be the one finishing the cake and ultimately adding inches to my already huge hips. So. Here’s what I did with my apples…
I turn these…
I have no idea why it’s called apple butter and not apple jam…but if you wanna be technical about it, you can safely call it ultra-cooked apples with spices. It’s great as a bread spread, it’s great as an ingredient in cupcakes and cakes, it’s great even to marinate some ribs for grilling.
So, far, I’ve used it as bread spread and it’s damn good. And healthy too!
I made my apple butter without added sugar since I used Fuji apples that are naturally sweet. So, here’s how you make:
Easy Healthy Homemade Apple Butter Recipe
10 – 15 apples, peeled, cored & chopped finely
1 tsp all spice powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
1 – 2 cups brown sugar (optional, I didn’t add any sugar to my apple butter)
1. Place all the chopped apples into the crock pot / slow cooker.
2. Set the slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
3. Add the spices and sugar. Stir to combine well.
4. Then set the slow cooker to low and let it do its magic for around 10 hours.
5. Stir the softened apples and leave the lid off.
6. Let the butter cook for several more hours until it is done.
7. Do the saucer test to determine if it is done. The saucer test is simple. Just take a dollop and place it on a saucer. If it starts to become watery, then it’s not done. The apple butter, when done, should be able to stand on a saucer without becoming watery (like the picture above).
8. You can immediately bottle the apple butter (or eat it direct hot from the slow cooker…). It can be stored in the fridge for quite a long time and if you sterilize your bottles and subject your bottled jams to a sterilization method (through hot water bath in a pressure cooker), then it can last unopened for months!
Enjoy and find ways to enjoy your healthy homemade sugar-free apple butter!