One of the easiest one-pot meals is chicken stew. This is the ultimate in comfort food and it is easy to prepare too. Best of all, you can eat it on its own or with some soft warm bread or fluffy steamed white rice. Perfect for a lazy weekend or during cold rainy days.
- 1/2 chicken chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large carrot cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large tomato quartered
- 1 big onion coarsely chopped
- 2 potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch (optional, for thickening)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water (add more if needed)
- salt (according to taste)
- Season the chicken in garlic power for 30 minutes.
- Heat up cooking oil in a pot over medium heat
- Stir fry the onion, cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves till fragrant
- Add in the chicken and stir until it turned white or almost cooked through.
- Add in the potatoes, carrot and tomato.
- Add in water till it covers the chicken. Add in cumin and soy sauce. Stir till well mixed.
- Turn the heat up and let it come to a boil.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer on low heat for about 30 mins.
- Check to make sure the potatoes are cooked through. Add salt according to your taste.