This is a simple dish that is a favourite for children and adults alike. It is comforting, delicious and easy to prepare. It is best served with fluffy white rice, it can even be eaten on its own. We are not sure of the origin of this dish but it is a traditional favourite in many ethnic Chinese households. The ingredients and flavours suggest that it has Western and Hainanese influences.
Fusion Meatball Stew
- 600 g chicken fillet minced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 carrot cubed
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 3 onions (medium size) sliced into rings
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 300 ml water
- Beat the eggs with a fork, stir in the sauce and pepper and add in the minced chicken. Make sure it is fully mixed into a sticky mass.
- Heat up 3 tbs cooking oil in a pan.
- Use a ladle or an ice cream scoop to scoop up the minced meat mixture and gently place it on the pan to fry it on medium low heat. The minced meat would be sticky so you have to be careful to drop it in a rounded shape on the pan. Once the edges turned brown, carefully flip it over and continue to cook until the patty till it is firm and a golden brown. Remove from pan and place it on disposable kitchen towels to absorb the extra oil. Repeat this process until you have used up all the minced meat.
- Heat up the remaining 2tbs cooking oil in a clean pan or wok.
- Stir fry the sliced onions over medium heat until fragrant. It has to be slightly browned.
- Add in the meatballs, carrots and potatoes. Stir fry for about 30 seconds, then add in the water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add in the soy sauce and pepper. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Let it simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through and softened. Add more soy sauce if you prefer it to be saltier but usually, the onions, potatoes and carrots would have added all the flavours needed to the gravy.
- Serve hot with rice.