Zha Cai chicken is a simple dish with a slight salty and spice taste. Zha Cai chicken is great served with steamed white rice or porridge. It is simple and easy to cook dish. Zha Cai is Sichuan preserved/pickled vegetable, Chinese pickled vegetable and also called tsa tsai or jar choy is a delicious and versatile ingredient which can be used in everything from stir-frys, to noodle soups.
Zha Cai (sichuan preserved vegetable) Chicken
- 300 g chicken breast cut into bite size
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 inch Zha Cai cut into small strip
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 clove garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 fresh red chilies or dry chilli seeded and sliced
- 40 ml water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Heat up the oil on a medium heat and add in garlic, ginger and stir fry.
- Add in some chilies and scallion and stir till fragrant.
- Add in chicken and stir on a medium heat and stir till 70% cook.
- Add in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil and water.
- Add in sugar, white pepper and stir till the chicken is cook.
- Add in rice wine and stir for a minute, it’s ready to be served.