Fried chicken is a favourite among adults and children alike. It is easy to eat and can be paired with rice or eaten on its own. Rather than the usual fried chicken, we decided to add some spices and herbs – turmeric, garam masala, curry leaves and lemongrass – for extra flavours.
Crunchy Kunyit Chicken (Ayam Goreng Kunyit)
- 300 g chicken tenders alternately, you can use a quarter chicken that are chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp multi purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass smashed till finely split
- 1 tsp sugar
- Mix the turmeric, garam masala, salt, pepper, sugar and multi purpose flour into the chicken. Marinade the chicken for about 15mins
- Heat cooking oil in a deep wok.
- Add in the curry leaves and lemongrass and fry over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add in the marinaded chicken.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil until it is cooked through. Remove and drain.
- Reheat the oil till hot and fry the chicken pieces again, over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Remove and drain.
- Best served hot.