This is a popular Teochew dish called the taukua khin chye which literally translates to beancurd cilantro. It only consists of two main ingredients, beancurd and cilantro. For optimum flavours, buy the Teochew beancurd for this dish. Teochew beancurd usually has yellow or beige skin while the plain beancurd has white skin. You can also use the plain beancurd for this recipe. This dish is also suitable for vegetarians.
Teochew Beancurd & Cilantro
- 2 blocks Teochew taukua cut into cubes
- 2 stalks cilantro (also known as coriander) cut into 1 inch length
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat up 1/2 cup cooking oil in a pan/wok.
- Lower the heat and deep fry the taukua pieces until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and set aside.
- Remove oil from pan until about 1 tbs oil remained. Heat up the oil.
- Add in the garlic and fry until it is golden brown.
- Add in the cilantro/coriander leaves and stir for about a minute.
- Add in the fried beancurd pieces and stir.
- Sprinkle the salt over the mix and stir to mix well for about 1 minute.
- Serve hot with rice.